NUTS & BOLTS
Tudor United SportsCar Championship (GTD & GTLM) – August 23, 2015
Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge – August 22, 2015
Virginia International Raceway – 3.27-mile, 17-turn road course
Tudor SportsCar Championship – 2:40 hour race
Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge – 2:30 hour time limit
- Tudor Championship - GTD teams will receive 8 sets of tires.
- There is no set limit for the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge.
WHICH TIRE ARE THEY USING:
**Continental Tire has designated Blacks for GTD teams. If teams move to wet tires, the GTD class will move to Golds.
GTD Blacks – the same tire compound used at Sebring, Laguna Seca, Detroit, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Road America, COTA, and Road Atlanta
CTSCC This tire compound will be used at all other tracks this year.
The pit window (fuel run) for the weekend is approximately 27 laps. Because the track is newly paved within the last two years, it’s unknown whether teams will double stint a set of tires. These are just approximations and does not account for fuel mileage, weather or caution flag laps.
VIR was repaved in 2014. The track has seasoned some and we expect it to be fast and challenging for drivers. We don’t expect anything out of the ordinary as far as tire wear.
- How many? – Continental Tire will bring roughly 1,700 tires to VIR. This includes rain and slick tires. The weather looks to be clear for the entire weekend.
- Continental Partners with “Stop the Crash” campaign - The Chassis & Safety and Tire Divisions of leading international automotive supplier, and tire manufacturer, Continental, are partnering the Global NCAP ‘Stop the Crash’ information campaign, an initiative of Global NCAP, the London, UK-based umbrella body of the worldwide NCAP consumer organizations for new-car safety testing. ANCAP, Asean NCAP, China NCAP, Euro NCAP, Japan NCAP, Korea NCAP, Latin NCAP and US NCAP and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), define the standards that vehicles must meet to be awarded top safety rating of five stars. In Europe, crash avoidance and mitigation systems such as adult and child occupant protection systems, pedestrian protection systems, and assistance systems such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Autonomous Emergency Braking Systems (AEBS), and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) systems, are a basic requirement for achieving this rating.
- Making New Fans – Continental Tire was pleased to host Chicago Fire players, Sean Johnson (goalkeeper) and Lovel Palmer (defender), at Road America. The duo attended their first race on Sunday during the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. The day included meeting drivers, sitting in race cars, and duties as Grand Marshal and Honorary Starter. To cap it off, the two hitched a ride back to Chicago with Jordan and Ricky Taylor. We captured their day on a video we titled: Racing, Soccer and a Road Trip.
- Racing & Soccer Collide in What’Cha Got – What happens when 14 Major League Soccer (MLS) players, legends and celebrities trade their boots for tires and a chance to get behind the wheel of a 2015 Lamborghini? The short format feature, “What’Cha Got”, presented by Continental Tire. Hosted by TUDOR United SportsCar Championship driver, Townsend Bell, this show will bring out the competitive edge in some of soccer’s top names including Alexi Lalas, Cobi Jones, Dom Dwyer (Sporting KC), Jordan Stewart (San Jose Earthquakes), and Andrew Farrell (New England Revolution). Airing on FOX Sports 1 as part of the “Soccer Sunday” lineup, this weekly show takes players from the pitch to the track and showcases some hidden talent. Episodes available on Continental’s YouTube channel following the TV airing.